• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 simanton

simanton

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Exactly. I think 10 knots is way too low.

#22 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Interesting topic. However, it doesn't change the fact that, based on reports from the Grand Fleet as early as 1916, the utility of underwater mounted torpedo tubes were considered to be less than useful. And that the official Grand Fleet Battle Instructions notably leaves out any mention of their use. The notation regarding their limitations is based on official Grand Fleet reports. And though I generally consider John Roberts a superior souce, in this case, I'm more inclined to defer to the actual period documents from the serving officers themselves.

And one more element: the probability of hitting. As would be shown during WWII, the chance of hitting with a torpedo was notoriously low (even in the Solomons battles the IJN's hit rate with their superior doctrine based on large masses of torpedoes launched at once and the vastly superior Type 93 torpedo was below 5%). During WWI, the preferred doctine was based around launching individual torpedoes, with the result being infinitely lower probabilities of hitting (understandabe considering that the tactical use of torpedoes was still in its infancy). All considered, the usefulness (or uselessness) of single torpedoes launched from underwater tubes on capital ships becomes rather stark.

#23 simanton

simanton

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

As I noted above, it was really an idea whose time had come and gone by the early 20th century.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users