• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tripper

tripper

Private

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:33 AM

It says that it is a extended task to load grape anybody point me to where this is
Thanks

#2 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Locationnear Houston, Texas

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:00 PM

Section 22 covers grapeshot and 22.1 covers loading.  According to 22.1, it's an extended task to load the first time because it takes one phase to unload normal shot, and then the normal three to reload grape.  "Thereafter, grape or roundshot is reloaded normally." (pg. 2-6)

What's really interesting is that in 22.2 it says, "When a captain announces a grapeshot attack, an opponent can reply that he will counter with grape, creating simultaneous attacks."  So, whoever goes to the extra trouble to load grape is not going to get off scot-free.

BWW

#3 tripper

tripper

Private

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

Hi this seems OK. But when we start to play properly (we are just playing line them up and see how the rules work for now) in more scenario based games I will most likely let players decide what load they want to start with.

As to your second observation. in my games if you aren't loaded with grape then you can't fire it.
PF

#4 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

I'm inclined to agree with your comment on my second observation.  I wonder if maybe the authors meant that if the other captain is also loaded with grape he can declare this, as that would make more sense.  However, it's not how the rule reads.  Presumably the mods/authors will be along shortly to clear this up also.

BWW

#5 tripper

tripper

Private

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

True however if you think, as most wargamers do and apply that logically, and work it back if someone fires double shot for instance and you declar simultaneous firing do you also fire dbl shot. (Wargamers don't you just love em) no matter how much playtesting is done some one will always need to ask questions as 10 people can read the same rule and get different interpretations

#6 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:16 PM

"What's really interesting is that in 22.2 it says, "When a captain announces a grapeshot attack, an opponent can reply that he will counter with grape, creating simultaneous attacks."  So, whoever goes to the extra trouble to load grape is not going to get off scot-free."

Of course, the replying ship must have guns loaded with grapeshot for this to happen.  If not, then the reply will be with whatever the guns are loaded with.

#7 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:00 AM

I too would play it as both sides must have grape loaded, since it's just common sense.  I've met some people who would try to argue the rule "as written," but have generally only gamed with them once. :lol:   Fortunately, rules lawyers don't seem to like sailing ship games for some reason....

BWW

#8 tripper

tripper

Private

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:44 AM

Thankfully the people I game with have common sense in abundance. But that won't stop a 5 minute friendly chat about it

#9 tripper

tripper

Private

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:45 AM

Double post whoops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users