4 replies to this topic

#1 Mazzuda

Mazzuda

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 12:40 PM

Hello
I'm a new member. Please I like to know il are ship log about merchant vessel.
Many thanks

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 02 September 2023 - 08:27 AM

Mazzuda,

There are two pages of merchant ships logs in the GQ3 rules.  They are pages 165 and 166 of the pdf.  The Merchant Ship System (MSS) booklet has several more, and data for many more.  I don't recall if the MSS booklet is a free download.

Dave

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 02 September 2023 - 02:06 PM

The US Deluxe ship logs have many that are even updated for AA changes and the like. The other nations deluxe ships logs are not as inclusive. But between the US deluxe logs and the normal ones I was able to put together all the MM and transports at both Laguna Point and the Tulagi anchorages for Guadalcanal. There is also file in the library for constructing you own MM ship logs if you know how to use excel. That is useful if you are trying to put together ships logs for a particular convoy and have the info (tonnage, speed and what not) needed to complete the logs.

WMC

#4 Mazzuda

Mazzuda

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 12:44 PM

Many thanks

#5 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 08:51 PM

Per Dave's comment, the MSS "booklet" is indeed free,  This gratis download supplement is available in the Bonus Files and was created specifically to enable gamers to prepare and add merchant ship logs for their scenarios and campaigns.  Extensive merchant ship data is not commonly available to most gamers as they don't have easy access to LLoyds and other commercial data sources for merchant vessels.   And, what there is, is all over the place and easy to misinterpret.  Accordingly, Bruce Wright and I created the MSS to provide gamers with a consistent system to generate merchant ship logs and track cargo carried that is consistent with GQ 3.3.  In addition, the data can be used for other rules systems by adjusting it to fit those systems' parameters.  It also, helps explain terms such as GRT (Gross Registered Tons) , NRT (Net Registered Tons, standard displacement, etc. as commercial terms are very different from the displacement tonnage measurements used for warships.  You will find data for more than 400 merchant vessels in tables and a number of already prepared Convoy Log sheets with many of the more prominent merchant classes in the MSS.  It has long been Bruce and my hope that others would add their data and expand the MSS for use by all.

Cheers,

LONNIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users