• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

The German 1st Panzer Regimental Kampfgruppe "Schwarzkopf" will be attacking in the vicinity of Luga in Round 3 after repulsing a Soviet counterattack in Round 2. The Kampfgruppe's temporary delay has put it behind the rest of 41st Panzer Corps - a gap not unnoticed by the Wehrmacht and 1.Panzer Division HQ's. Here is my amateurish version of the next battle's map before it is transformed into a more functional, professional, and attractive version by Sacha.Gregory Posted Image

#2 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

And here is the map we will use in the game. The Rail Depot has not been designed yet so it is currently represented as a gray zone. But with all the goodies I have it should be nice.The Germans will be entering from the West with the Soviet set up anywhere on the east half of the map.The smudgy green piece adjacent to the woods along the river is a swamp. The woods are light, some crops and lots of open terrain. Posted Image

#3 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:16 AM

It would be interesting to see if Kampfgruppe "Schwarzkopf" can gain some ground - all that open terrain looks likely to invite a fast moving aggressive attack! All the German commanders must be concerned with mounting losses. The prospect of assaulting Leningrad with just a Kubelwagon could be a possibility!Please keep us posted.What do you use for your rail track - looked at some wargaming stuff but would cost a fortune for a sufficient length. I have bought a couple of 4 foot flexible lengths of rail track from a hobby store, I think it is about 1:150 a little large really but looks OK.

#4 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

We bought some Z-scale track, and it does cost a lot. Also, it is 1:220 scale, which is sightly outsize. I have some track .pdf files in 1:300 that I am adapting for use as printed cardstock. Stan Washburn of Paper Terrain, whose products you use, promises to have cardstock railroads in 6mm some time soon. Hope he makes some cardstock locomotives and rolling stock, too!Gregory

#5 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:16 PM

This battle will take place on May the 6th. So stay tuned.

#6 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

We just had our battle yesterday...and what a game!Kampfgruppe Schwarzkopf Assaulted the Rail Junction with.....Veteran Company of Pzkw 38(t) tanksVeteran company of engineersRegular Rifle CompanyPlatoon of motorcycle recon AttachmentStuka Zu Fuss attachment (5) loads(2) batteries of 105mm with 5 fire missions each1 Stukaand succeeded in taking the junction and then some. In addition, the 1st Panzer Division has also bypassed Narva and the 8th Panzer Division and will now begin its assault on Leningrad.This game was full of close assaults and some entertaining moments provided by the Stuka Zu Fuss and its 280mm rockets. The game went pretty smoothly with one game mechanical oddity regarding smoke and OW, about which I will make a post with a comment.It will take me another week before I will be able to put up the full AAR, so I will leave you with this pic.Cheers..... Posted Image

#7 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

Well you have wetted our appetite. Looks like Kampfgruppe Schwarzkopf got the result they desperately needed - looking forward for the AAR.

#8 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

Lady Luck, as usual, had her way with this game. Before it even started, the three recon patrols allocated to the Germans came up all successful and 100% accurate. So, despite some poor luck early in the game, which Sacha will certainly bemoan in his AAR, the Germans were still well ahead in this department at game start. Then it got even more interesting.One thing we have discovered, which happened in war (and everywhere else) because it is essentially human nature, is that both sides tend to take actions that worked really well for them over and over again. This despite the fact that the action was incredibly lucky or it was taken in a specific set of circumstances. Towards that end, I wonder how players will be setting up their AA units in the next game...Cheers,Gregory

#9 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:16 AM

Interested to know which infantry stats you used?

#10 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:13 AM

The same we have been using from the start. Losses in KG Schwarzkopf were high in certain units, while the Soviets took their usual heavy hits across the board. As with infantry combat, most losses took place within 300yds and due to close assault. There were some see-saw battles in some of the buildings -- Germans take it, Soviets re-capture, then the Germans finally eject them. Fun!Cheers,Gregory

#11 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

#12 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image

#13 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:35 PM

Posted Image

#14 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image

#15 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

So here was some of the first bad luck for the Germans. We had 2 batteries 105mm off board artillery with 5 fire missions each. So we rolled to call for artillery and what did we get?a 20Thanks Peter.At least we still had our battery of stuka zu fuss Posted Image Ther have to be some very unhappy Soviet soldiers in there!

#16 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

Our motorcycle recon troops basically moved full speed for the group of trees on the far side of the board. This was an excellent move as it provided the Germans with some advanced warning of the Soviet disposition. Posted Image

#17 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:14 PM

Actually, before the battle we had a recon report that the AT guns were there. So this just reconciled the report.Turn 3 and the Germans keep up the advance. Posted Image

#18 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

hmmmm...now this is good to know! Posted Image

#19 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image

#20 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:26 PM

This was a back and forth mini battle on the table top. Well at least they helped to keep the AT guns busy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users