58 replies to this topic

#1 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

Well I guess this place is about as good as any for the topic. I thought I'd use this thread to post pics every now and then of specific mini and terrain pieces and how they are done.I get questions every now and then about specific things we use for bases, crops and such so I'll put that stuff here for others to check out and reference.

#2 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

I have shown this before, so I'll show it again. For troops, All I do is use a good 'ol US penny as a base and super glue the penny to a flat head nail and stick it into a foam block. Then all the pennies are spray painted a flat olive grey and let dry ofcourse. The next step is spreading out some elmers white glue across the top and flock it with "Woodland Scenics" grass. Then I glue about 4 lead soldiers down and call it a squad.Then, finally they are shipped off to this guy I use for painting services and they come back like so...... Posted Image

#3 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

Posted Image

#4 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Here's an image on what we use for trees, which may be what every one else uses too. Just as well. "Woodland Scenics" make a variety of plastic tree types and sizes, along with the flocking to make grreat looking trees.Here, using the ever versatile US penny, the trees are based to the penny with elmers glue. Then spray painted with the flat olive drab. The base portion gets covered with elmers glue and sprinkled with the grass. The upper part of the tree is then brushed with a sticky glue, let it dry a bit before you apply the material for the trees. As it dries it gets stickier which is best. Woodland scenics once again makes the material for the trees. Posted Image

#5 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

For crops, I have done 2 things.One is bought the fuzzy stuff that comes in rolls of green and beige from the local train hobby store. I believe it is a German company that make this stuff and could be found anywhere. The material is cut and "hot" glued down to 4ply museumm board. The board is cut into 4 different sizes so that I have repeating modules to work from.The other thing I have done is raid the fabirc samples we have in our office, architectural office, and use the fabrics to create various crops of all sorts. Obviously these can be embellished with all kinds of flocking and scenics to satisfy your scenic desires and wishes. Posted Image

#6 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image

#7 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

So here are a couple things on train and rail yard terrain. This is a beginning and I have a bit more than what is shown here. Once again everything was made with a penny as the stand of choice in mind. Some attention to modules was also incorporated. Most of this is created from Balsa wood parts and plastic piping and rail, or whatever happened to be laying around the modelshop that evening.The rails I bought from a company called "Plastruct". They make alot of stuff used by big engineering firms that have models made of refineries and such.The paint job was done by the guy I use in Canada. Posted Image

#8 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

Posted Image

#9 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

Posted Image

#10 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

Posted Image

#11 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

but wait there's more.....Continuing with the rail yard into the industrial theme,same thing applies here to the penny, balsa wood, plastruct, modulization and our painter up in Canada.The imporatnt thing here is we incorporated removable roofs for factory skirmishes which we have yet to do. Posted Image

#12 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Posted Image

#13 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:09 PM

This one would serve well as the main Foundry in Stalingrad. Posted Image

#14 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

Posted Image

#15 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

Posted Image

#16 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

This picture gives a good idea of the modulization of Industrial scenics.Obviously for small complexes or large ones. Posted Image

#17 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

up and coming unpaited induatrial complexes..... Posted Image

#18 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image

#19 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:14 AM

Sacha,What material are you using as a base for your buildings? :huh:

#20 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:32 AM

In some cases, I use polystyrene as a base. It's thin and flexible and snaps apart when scored, but still maintains its flat posture even after being painted, and glued with all this stuff. No warping. In other cases, like the factories, I used a plexiglass base, 1/16" thick.The 2 main bonding agents I use is if it's plastic to plastic is crazy glue, if it's wood to plastic I use hot glue. The benefit of hot glue is it will solidify within a minute or two and cuts down on the waiting time required by white glue.Finally, which you will see later, is a base I use from wood laminate samples from various manufactures. Extremely rigid and durable, the underside of the material has a texture which is great for villages. It looks like dirt road terrain.some thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users