• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

Howdy all,I've been playtesting a house rule that defines close assault as hand-to-hand combat. Developed a scenario around GD's action defending against an attack by a Russian Guards unit in a position which had been cratered by a Katyuscha barrage. I finally got a digital cameral of my own and thought I'd share a few pics of the last round we played shortly after Christmas.The defender sets up hidden before the Russian player deploys. Game is played at 1"=25 yards (nominal). The Russians have an infantry battalion supported by KV-1's and some off board artillary. The German player has what amounts to a reinforced company.In this matchup the Russian player (me) decided to mass forces on the defenders left flank. The German player (James) had not occupied many of the outlier craters. He also had a bunker position by the road just off the left of the picture below.Here is the overview after the Russians have begun their advance and have laid a few smoke rounds out to obscure the approach.Posted Image

#2 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:36 AM

The Russians close on the German outliers.Posted Image

#3 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

I'd meant to advance my heavy weapons behind smoke ... but really wound up keeping them screened from being effective for the earlier part of the fight.Posted Image

#4 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:44 AM

Initial contact is made. Russians had successfully assaulted the second crater on the right side of the picture and a foxhole just at the back of the field. However, they had also found a Panzerfaust ... the hard way.Posted ImageThe near German with the supression and moral check marker would prove to be one tough cookie.

#5 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:52 AM

Despite having taken a casualty and being flanked by one of the assaulting squads the German rifle squad managed to get suppressions on both attackers (house rule in effect here). The third Russian unit, closest to the knocked out KV-1, was laying fire on the enemy unit immediately to its front.Posted ImageThe KV-1 had managed to force another enemy unit out of his foxhole but couldn't take him out in the process.

#6 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:59 AM

At this point a German MMG had opened up with some considerable effect. I rushed a KV forward to overun his position. An Iron Fist took an overwatch shot at me but missed ... unfortunately a second unit nearby didn't miss taking a standard activation shot soon thereafter.Posted ImageWe called the game at this point; it was about 12:30 PM and my six year old could care less what I did the night before.I am working on write ups for the house CA rules and the scenario which I will post soon. Hope you enjoyed.-JT

#7 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

Excellent AAR Joel! :)

#8 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff