2 replies to this topic

#1 William Owen

William Owen

Private

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSoca, Canelones, Uruguay, South America

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:29 AM

This may seem picky but inquiring minds want to know. How do you measure the 500 yards? (Page 1-3, Rule 1.2.4 Formations.) Depending on the surface scale vis a vis the model scale, 500 yards between ACTUAL ships may appear to be 300 between MODELS.The scale distortion in a typical naval game may be 3x to 6x (see my webpage for examples:www.g-design.us/shipsSo a 3-centimeter 1:6000 ship model that looks like it 600 yards in 1/2 cm/100 yards scale, the actual ship is 180 meters long or almost 200 yards. On it's nearly 4-cm base (800 yards) there's 600 yards of water.The upshot is that with bases, the Figurehead/Hallmark 1:6000 ships actually are based with an extra 100 yards of safety zone.But then when you switch to larger scales without bases, Say 1:3000 on 1 cm scale, there's a similar proportion but no base (let's say). But the point is that there need be only 2 cms between each ship to maintain 500 yards between ACTUAL ships.The rules question is, should there be a minimum of 500 yards between:1. Actual ships2. ModelsI ASSUMED # 1 because the rules don't know what scale mix you're using.

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

In my local group, we make all measurements (LOF range, collisions, etc) fore funnel to fore funnel (which is close (which is close to center of mass for the model). We use this convention since we use 1/2400, 1/3000 and 1/6000 scale models, and severval different ground scales. I know others (who use groudscales closer to the model scale) use a model to mdel convention. The key element is to have consensus among your group. Since collisions are so rare (I think I've seen maybe a handful in 30+ years of naval gaming), the issue really doesn't come up that often.

#3 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

Bill,Coastal is correct in his method. Measure all distances from the same point on a ship, no matter what the model scale, unless you are playing on a large surface and doing 1:1 scale (actually possible with 1:6000 minis, sometimes). In general, it is not necessary to concern oneself with ships in line ahead formation at 500yds intervals, steaming under non-battle and calm weather conditions, as it is reasonable within the game to assume that they will not collide. However, under fire or at speed, ships did not keep stations so close in case of sudden maneuvers, taking damage, etc. Generally, 800 to 1000yds minimum is recommended for battle lines.Gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users