• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

Hi Gregory, yes the rolls were just very low, considering we were using regular troop value the lack of breaks was most unusual. I have played plenty of games where the opposite was true, whole platoons breaking after a single casualty.The only anomaly we found was with the revised close combat rules. Two reduced Soviet rifle/LMG squads simultaneously attacked a German squad, the reduced close combat value of these stands are '0' so added them together did not worked, as two half squads are equivalent to a whole stand we used the whole stand value instead.regards Trotsky

#62 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:37 AM

The only anomaly we found was with the revised close combat rules. Two reduced Soviet rifle/LMG squads simultaneously attacked a German squad, the reduced close combat value of these stands are '0' so added them together did not worked, as two half squads are equivalent to a whole stand we used the whole stand value instead.

That's interesting. The HTH value is a modifier and not a value that represents the stands HTH capability. "0" and "negative" numbers are acceptable. At first I understood your thinking then after doing a bit of reviewing, the original numbers and their reasoning make sense. Even while in mathmatical theory 2 x half stands would equal 1 full stand, this is not entirely true. 1 stand in good condition is better than 2 beatup stands. Why? Well, in the process of taking casualties it is possible that the stands lost combat effectiveness in key personnel, grenades and essential equipment that would have played a part in the close combat, thus reduced effectiveness and the reduced HTH value. The HTH values represent this theory in a playable manner. Hope this explains the numbers a bit better.

#63 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Hi Bob thanks for the response. This was not a big issue for us in the game and I understand your analysis, particularly that two beat up half squads not being as efficient as an intact squad.The rules state, ‘If multiple stands are taking part in the same Close Combat, add together their modified values for a single HTH value.’ The issue for us was that using this method, 2 half stands with a CC of ‘0’ were no more effective than 1 half stand with a CC of ‘0’. Thinking about it now maybe using a value of ‘1’ for the combined half-squad’s CC might have been better, however if I remember correctly the Soviets won the CC by a huge margin on the die roll!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users