Photo

Steering w/the engines (considering a house rule)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kenneth D. Hall

Kenneth D. Hall

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFlyover Country

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

I note in the rules that if and when the crew manages to repair a "rudder jammed" critical hit, the ship turns at double the radius of an undamaged ship.I am considering a house rule that would permit a ship with rudder jammed ahead (only) to try to turn using the engines. One thought would be that the ship would turn at quadruple the radius, at a speed of no more than, say, 15 knots. Another possibility would be to make allowing the turn conditional, perhaps on a die roll equivalent to a morale roll (so that more experienced crews would have a greater chance to succeed).I raise the question because I umpired a game last Friday evening (Battle of Borneo from the RNS supplement modified for more players and to get TIGER into the game as well) in which DE RUYTER had her rudder jammed ahead on a course carrying her straight into the Japanese battle line (DE RUYTER was on heading 000, the Japanese ships on 270). Is steering with the engines something that could be attempted under fire, in your view? I don't see why not, but I'm no expert in these matters.Best regards,Ken

#2 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:11 AM

Ken,That sounds like an interesting House Rule. Steering with the engines is certainly an effective tactic in some circumstances. It all depends on the nature of the rudder damage. As an example, the damage to Bismarck was extreme enough that steering with her engines couldn't overcome. In other cases, it worked.The Critical Hit listed on the Surface Combat chart is, of course, an omnibus effect of rudder damage which damage control can (usually) fix enough to use reduced steering via hand steering from the tiller flat and/or steering with the engines. Given the importance of having steering disabled, a House Rule that provides a wider range of consequences for rudder damage that can't be repaired at sea would be a welcome addition. Let us know what you come up with. Hopefully, others will have ideas as well which will help us enhance this aspect of GENERAL QUARTERS. This Forum is designed for us to help evolve the system as well answer questions. I look forward to a House Rule to post on the Forum.LONNIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users