3 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne Pocock

Wayne Pocock

Private

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBerks, UK

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

Firstly thanks for all the time and effort that has been put into GQ III. I have had similar issues in view the new files in Adobe Reader 7. Due to issues with a work PC I can't download ver 8 from home. But a PDF file viewer programme has allowed me to do so. And it has the advantage of not being a big file. Hope this helps.Wayne

#2 CinC

CinC

ODGW Janitor

• ODGW Staff
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

Thank you for your kind words. A lot of effort went into this latest work.The file reading issue does seem to hinge on the version of Adobe Reader you are using. Version 8 is recommended, available for free.CinC

#3 Dave Schueler

Dave Schueler

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

While the new Reader is free, it is a little irritating to download a pdf, not be able to read it, and not really know why. Especially when most of the files open up without any problem in earlier version of Reader. Most of us don't think about the version of Reader we are using until after we have downloaded the file several times and tried other things. So, for future releases I would suggest:- When generating the pdfs from Adobe Distiller, you can set the Compatibility for the pdf and I would suggest setting it for one or two versions previous to the current reader version. Most people typically have a version that would fall into that group. I realize that some embedded elements may not translate into previous versions in which case ...-When posting the files, you may want to list the version compatibility for Adobe Reader. This won't clear up all the questions, but it will probably cut them down.I'm not trying to be a pain in the neck (or lower) with these suggestions, but just make things easier next time. Dave S.

#4 CinC

CinC

ODGW Janitor

• ODGW Staff
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:20 PM

Anyone who wants one is certainly entitled to a full refund on their purchase price for Amendment 1. Seriously, when these files were made into .pdf's they were done through a third party converter, so we did not even know there was an incompatibility issue until some folks told us. We only knew they were virus free. When I found out about the need for the latest Adobe upgrade, I posted the information in two places — here and in the "New Items" section, above. I have updated the info on the Download Library itself, as well.We hope that the quality and quantity of Amendment 1 outstrips the inconvenience of having to download the latest version of Adobe Reader. And we will certainly work to keep downloads pain free in the future.Cheers,CinC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users