• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

A real bloodbath! Really intense.I see the game had a GM, were the Soviets able to secretly move their forces to meet the Germans as they reached the edge of the woods or was this a pre-planned movement? It sort of demonstrates the need for scouting the battlefield. A few recon stands could have saved the Germans a whole load of grief as they could have spotted the Soviet advance on the other side of the woods. Sounds like a cool game, great photos, and thanks for posting.Curious to know what impact the Cossacks had on the game, apart from drawing a lot of enemy fire! I am about to paint some up. Also there are some counters with ‘A’ on them in the photos, what are they for?

#42 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:26 PM

Trotsky....We always have a GM so we may game using hidden movement which makes the game that much more interesting and exciting. You're right about having some recon guys on the otherside of the woods. It would have helped me to either freak out or brace myself.The counters with an "A" are our activation counters. We actually have 3 types. Something new we are trying. One just has an A for the obvious. The second has a slightly slanted A with an arrow and a light shade of blue for moving and the third which shows a more slanted A with a darker blue for moving fast. That way when we go into the next trun its a reminder of what stance the stand is in.The last one is something we might use for "Unbuttoned".Any thoughts? Posted Image

#43 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:52 AM

I remember somewhere a mention of making the activation counters doublesided to mark those counters which are moving - seems like a good idea. I know you MMG guys use an additional modifier for moving fast, does this affect your tactics much, that additional -3 must be a good incentive?

#44 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

The Cossacks could have had an effect. The Soviet player lost sight of the German tanks in the woods, and thought they had gone around the western edge of the hill to lay an ambush. In fact, they had not, and were struggling to recover from their broken status. But the Soviet commander did not know this, and was heard to say, "I don't like the looks of this." So he decided not to brave the artillery fire of the Germans and make a dash for the western edge, though he probably could have made it.The main benefit of the Cossacks is that they were slightly better trained (no chance of being Untrained), and are more mobile like motorcycles, but without the negative wheeled modifiers cross-country. They dismount to fight and do just fine. It is great to have a unit with its own intrinsic transport. They are of course susceptible to small arms fire. But they look cool on the table!

#45 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:34 PM

The modifier for going fast does sometimes help, especially when one wants to charge a position, out flank a position or whatever one's mind creates.So it does affect how we play.

#46 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:10 AM

I am interested in this - I have never used evasive movement because when I don't want to get hit I prefer to cover the exposed ground as quickly as possible - I think I will give this modifier a go next game.

Post edited by: Trotsky, at: 2006/03/14 14:51

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users