• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#141 simanton

simanton

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:14 PM

Decades ago, there was an optional rule for Alnavco Seapower to limit rate of fire to 25% until a hit was obtained.

#142 healey36

healey36

Captain

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:47 AM

I didn't realize Alnavco was still around, but I found their site. I bought quite a few Superior kits and reference books from them back in the day. It looks like those rules, or a version of them, are still in print.

• simanton likes this

#143 simanton

simanton

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:44 PM

They are, though many of the optional rules appeared in editions of The Alnavco Log from the 1970s and are no longer available.  If you wish, I can scan the relevant pages from my copies.

#144 healey36

healey36

Captain

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:19 AM

If you have the spare time to make those, it would be very much appreciated. I'll flip you a PM with my email address.

Thanks, much.

Healey

• simanton likes this

#145 simanton

simanton

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:51 PM

OK!

#146 healey36

healey36

Captain

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:57 AM

Got them and read them last night. Lots of useful/interesting bits there. The Q&A section was especially entertaining. Thanks for sending them over!

With a big chunk of my ship collection comprised of pre-dreadnought-era models, I'm wondering what rule changes/amendments would be required for FAI to roll it back some 20 years. I presume there were numerous technology/architecture differences (more than just fire-control and armoring). There are a few sets out there that might be usable, but I'm too old to go back to rivet-counting and some of the other vagaries, lol. I have a copy of Richard Hill's book War at Sea in the Ironclad Age...perhaps it's time to break down and actually read it. 

• simanton likes this

#147 healey36

healey36

Captain

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:16 PM

We’re still becalmed in the doldrums of the pandemic here, so while the table is largely quiet, work continues on the lead/resin-pile together with a lot of reading. A number of unrelated projects have been worked as well, perhaps to be shared at a later date.

It’s disingenuous to say the table’s been totally silent, as a number of board games have found their way into the sunlight. The most recent was a solitaire play of ATO’s Arctic Disaster: The Destruction of Convoy PQ-17. I play-tested this for the designer back in 2015, but hadn’t looked at it since its publication. The mechanics are not too different from those of the early version we kicked around for a few weekends nearly five years ago, and it plays to a similar result (as do nearly all PQ-17 games). I would classify Arctic Disaster as more a “model” than a game; it’s brilliant at simulating/demonstrating what happened to the convoy, but it’s not much of a “game”. As with everything PQ-17, it boils down to trying to run a slow-moving convoy through a gauntlet of U-boats and land-based bombers, along with a seemingly better-than-not chance of an encounter with Tirpitz and her coterie. It’s just a blood-bath that you know is coming, and there’s no avoiding it.

Simanton sent over some pages from Alnavco’s Seapower which I’ve read through a couple of times. I’m not sure why, but I love reading naval wargame rules, especially those with some years on them. Seeing the nuances designers float as critical and their attempts to qualify/quantify the perceived impact is interesting, often eye-opening. This one developed from consideration of the methods and sequence of ranging and how some rule-sets handle it. Often times, one might think that a specific notion has gone unconsidered, but in fact it is cooked into the abstract system a designer has developed. On the other hand, it may have been genuinely overlooked. Pinning that down can be difficult without talking to the designer or reading his notes. A good place to start is often the game’s time-scale – elapsed time has a way of appropriately mitigating the minutiae of tactical combat, i.e. a lot can happen in a game-turn lasting six minutes, but a lot more can happen in one that lasts ten.

I finally finished a read of Graeme Cook’s Silent Marauders, then moved on to Blumentritt’s biography of Von Rundstedt (I wouldn’t recommend it, as it is a fairly blatant, unapologetic rewrite of the field-marshal’s career and his actions during the war). A friend of mine sent me a biography of Henry Segrave, which I think might be up next. That should have me digging through the attic looking for my old Avalon Hill Speed Circuit game.

Library book
Stamping inside the Von Rundstedt biography.

Together with some ideas shamelessly pilfered from Featherstone’s Solo Wargaming, I’ve gotten a few thoughts down and incorporated them into a template for an attempt at solitaire tactical maneuver for FAI. These, along with some hyper-aggressive gunnery notions and other ideas, might make for some fun (or total silliness). Regardless, I can see a few playtests hitting the table in the next few weeks, the details of which I’ll provide here.

Otherwise, we’re just laying low waiting for a vaccine appointment, reading through this year’s pile of seed catalogs.

• simanton likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FAI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users